With the passage of time, patients with lymphedema might witness certain changes in the skin of the affected parts of the body. Lymphedema can be defined as an inappropriate accumulation of lymph fluid, which leads to chronic swelling and discomfort in the affected area. This dysfunction can also lead to negative effects on the nearby areas of the skin. That is why it is recommended to wear lymphedema full leg garments and arm sleeves and to take care of the skin to preserve its health and well-being.
Why skincare is important?
When suffering from lymphedema, skin becomes thick and stiff. Skin becomes drier and more surface scales appear. Below are reasons why skincare is important:
- To minimize the risks of getting skin infection
- To keep the skin soft and supple
- To prevent skin from becoming too drying
Skin problems that can affect lymphedema patients
- Dermatitis – It is a common inflammatory skin disorder characterized by weeping and itchy red skin.
- Fungal Infection – Fungal infections are a common problem in lymphedema cases. If left untreated, they can lead to cellulitis.
- Lymphorrhoea – In this type of skin disorder, the lymph leaks through skin surface ultimately increasing the risk of skin infection.\
How to take care of your skin?
- Observe your skin – Keep a close watch on your skin. If you notice redness, cuts, or abrasions in the affected part, treat them instantly. If the affected areas undergo sudden change, there are possibilities you might be suffering from cellulitis. Consult your doctor immediately.
- Carefully cleanse your skin – Whenever you wash your affected hands or legs, be extra careful. Wash the affected parts carefully and at the same time pay attention to the skin folds. Carefully pat dry the skin especially in folds and between toes and fingers. do not rub while drying.
- Use the moisturizer regularly – It is vital to apply moisturizer on the swollen limb and affected area prior to going to bed each night. If there is are any dry skin areas, it can act as an entry point for bacteria, resulting in an infection. Use emollient for rehydrating the skin.
To reduce the risk of an allergic reaction or any infectious skin disorder, it is always recommended to take good care of your skin and wear customized lymphedema full leg garments and arm sleeves to reduce swelling. At Pink Ribbon, we provide a range of lymphedema garments and customized fitting service to our customers. Contact us at (479) 242-9277 to book your appointment.